Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Bad Snow No Go

Checked the Alta webcam this AM and saw a light dusting in the parking lot, so I decided another ski day was in order. The forecast for the valley was rain showers all day, so I figured rain here = snow there...

Mountains in the clouds

By the time I motivated and got up there it was a little after 11. It was 33 degrees in the upper lot, and the snow was very wet and heavy. On the drive up the canyon I noticed lots of little wet slides, and bells went off in my head that today wasn't a good day to ski anything remotely steep enough to slide.

It was warm and humid up there (in a cloud), and visibility basically SUCKED, so I couldn't even salvage the trip by taking scenic shots... I left camera in the car.

Has anyone seen my mountain, I can't find it anywhere!

I took a short tour up to Albion Basin, hoping it would get me high enough the snow wouldn't be so wet and prone to sliding, but it was the same as below. I skied back down to the car, taking a few shortcuts through some untracked snow in the trees. I'm glad I didn't keep hiking, because the snow was heavy and not that much fun... the run I had a few days ago already got me spoiled for the famous Utah powder.

Lower LCC is in desperate need of some white...

Oh well, I got out and got some exersise, and made a few nice turns on the way down. Hard to complain about that. Now where's our lake-effect snow damnit?!

1 comment:

GliderMike said...

That wet stuff sucks to try to ski, but if it doesn't melt away, it makes a really good base of ice to keep the powder from melting when the powder comes. Hard to get any wax that will work on the wet stuff.