Friday, April 8, 2011

Climbing

Last winter, my friend Ben came out to visit and together we ski-mountaineered Lone Peak. This year when he was out the snow pack wasn't as reliable, with recent rain and very warm temps, so we decided against another mountaineering project.


Here's last year's Lone Peak video, for those that may have missed it

One of the days was so nice and warm, Ben decided to take me climbing in American Fork Canyon. I'm going on 4-years living in Utah, and haven't climbed since I moved here! I've heard how much climbing there is, and how great it all is... but with my unreliable shoulder I couldn't reach up over my head, making climbing pretty difficult. But that's all behind me now, and the shoulder's repaired nicely.

Ben did some research online, and found a nice area in AF canyon with bolted sport routes and some easier climbs for me to get the rust off on. And boy was there rust! I should mention that I wasn't very good to begin with... but oddly enough taking 4 years off didn't make me any better!

Tying in, photo by Ben Carlson

I did ok on my first day back... made up one climb pretty well, made it to the (mini) roof on another, but couldn't quite figure how to get my legs up over so I stopped there, and made it to the top of another but only with some pretty heavy coaching and encouragement from Ben. After just those three routes I was feeling pretty tired, so I called it a day and continued to belay for Ben while he topped 5.10 after 5.10, making it look so easy even I was thinking I could do it (I can't).

AF Canyon is so freaking scenic, and the perspective while climbing just adds to that

All in all, it was a great day! It was fun to get the dust off my gear, and to learn about some challenging (for me, anyway) sport routes just a few minutes from our house! I hope to take Des back there this summer. Climbing is such a fun sport- the challenge is so welcome, and I love the mental games involved. Problem solving the next move, figuring out how to balance yourself so you can move a foot or hand to the next hold. Trying to control breathing and every body movement. Did I mention that I suck? But we had fun, and I'm pretty sure that's the whole point!

Chalking up while Ben gives me some pointers, photo by Ben Carlson

No comments: