Sunday, November 9, 2008

Long Time No Ski

Desiree, Heather (new addition to the local HG community) and I went up to Alta today for some pre-season skiing. Snowbird is open, but Alta doesn't open until next week.

Des and Heather posing in front of Mount Superior

We didn't want to be too over-zealous and not be able to walk tomorrow, so we eased into the season by going up under the Collins lift, and stopping at the mid-station. (View Alta trailmap here).

We only scratched the surface of what Alta has to offer, but we were careful NOT to scratch the surface of our skis :-) We all made it up and down without hitting any rocks, which was my main goal this early in the season.

I was LOVING the new boots (Black Diamond Factor), even if they did win me the ugliest boot on the hill award. While touring up they were so much better than my old (race) boots... but they felt just as stiff and supportive on the way down. If anything, I felt like I had a better connection with the skis... which was needed for navigating some of the thaw-freeze popcorn.

It was a pretty short run, but it was a lot of fun to get out, get some exercise, and get some turns as early as Nov. 9th.

This is an early start to the season for ex-East coasters like Des and I

No comments: