Friday, December 26, 2008

Appreciative Feet

Today was my first day off since our Snowbird day on the 18th, and I decided to make it my first day out of ski boots since I don't even know when, Dec. 8th (Des's birthday was my first day of work).

For Christmas Santa brought the Wasatch Range 4+ ft of the greatest snow on earth, so I have to assume I missed a pretty epic powder day... But my feet sure are happy. Besides, today was a blackout day at Deer Valley, and I really can't afford to be buying lift tickets... so that leaves the backcountry. The avalanche forecast for today (view it here) was very high, and the forecasters stated that natural and human triggered avalanches were a certainty today. They said "backcountry travelers should stay off of and out from underneath any slope steeper than about 30 degrees"... I don't know if you've tried to ski a less-than-30 degree slope with 4+ ft of powder, but it's not much fun... it becomes a very straight run (not worth hiking and risking my life for).

Natural avalanche in our backyard

I used the morning to relax and clean the house a bit, and then ran some errands in the afternoon. When I got home to took Jackson out to the flight park for a run in the snow, and we had so much fun we played until dark. Then we came home, and I decided to take some pictures of Jackson and Bonnie playing in the backyard.

Jackson walked up the hill, and then jumped into the deep pow...
it was hilarious!


Bonnie plowing through the fluff (chasing a snowball)

No comments: