Sunday, February 8, 2009

Fun Day on Sunday

I woke up with two texts from Des in my phone, one said "Did you want to go do a run?", and the other (referring to the avalanche forecast) "It's green... green means go!".

I was tempted to stay home and rest my feet, but unable to resist a good time in the great outdoors I sprung to life and got ready. She had to be back by early afternoon, so we were just going to do one quick run and head home.

Since it's so easily accessible, we decided to ski the southerly face of Cardiff Ridge, which is basically right next to Alta, overlooking the parking lot. The tour up was pretty painless, and there were lots of other 'backcountry enthusiasts' out today despite being overcast, flat light, and a bit snowy.

The run down was surprisingly stellar! We weaved back and forth a little until we found a good looking line down, then we laid our tracks on the hill. The snow was a little wetter than the infamous Utah pow, but still very nice. There was also a bit of sun crust maybe a foot or two below the surface snow, but that's to be expected on a south facing slope.

A little lower down I saw a nice line through some trees and asked Des to take my picture as I came down. I openly admit I'm vain like that, and love seeing myself do cool things like aerobatics or powder skiing... lucky for me Des was happy to oblige and set up below. I linked a few turns, which resulted in the below sequence :-)

There's something cool about ripping down a mountain
and leaving a cloud in your wake...


It was a great day to be on skis, and I'm really glad I went. As much as I enjoy resort skiing, there's something about the backcountry that hits deep in my soul. Probably has something to do with the feeling of exploration and the unknown... and the untracked pow :-)

No comments: