Sunday, February 22, 2009

I fly, I fly!

Saturday I had the day off, and the forecast for the South Side looked decent. Having not flown since November, I decided it was a good day to get some rust off.

As I drove down the frontage road to the South Side, I noticed right in front of me was a familiar white van with a hang glider on the roof... John L and I drove up top and immediately started setting up. Winds were a bit light, but we were hopeful things would pick up.

Just as it started to get really good John Glime pulled in, and frantically started setting up too. John L and I supervised from above :-) Later into the morning, a bunch more hang pilots showed up. Most set up, but it died off before they got to fly. Some chose to fly down, some to break down.

Here is a video from today (thanks Liz for filming!):
Hang Gliding at South Side, Point of the Mountain
(click on the link to watch the video in HD at vimeo.com)

After flying a bunch of us went out for pizza and beverages, putting a nice finishing touch on the day. Then John Glime and I bumped into Heather and Adrian, and they invited us over for dinner... Adrian made a delectable dinner, and we just hung out and talked flying, life, and everything in between. Adrian also showed John and I his workshop, where he makes custom 'zagi' wings. He actually has a computer driven, automated hotwire machine- he just plugs in the dimensions and airfoil, and the machine automatically cuts the wing cores. VERY cool!

No comments: