Thursday, November 6, 2008

The Camera Curse

So I have this superstition, based on past experiences... any day I decide to fly with a camera, it will be great right up until the point that I am DONE mounting the camera on the glider. It never fails!

Even on short flights, there's something very special about stepping away from the Earth.

Ignoring the 'camera curse', I decided to take an extra 10 mins to mount my D80 out at the tip of my tandem falcon. This would be the first time I fly with the camera other than a short t-hill test flight.

Smile for the birdie...

The good news is that my new wired remote worked beautifully... the bad news is the 'camera curse' is still alive and well. Luckily flying solo on that tandem glider gives me a killer sink rate, so I was still able to do a few passes before coming and landing on the lip of one of the fingers, rather than going to the bottom (another advantage of that glider, lands easy, anywhere!).

Cold feet, the price of having to land.

I'll be flying with the camera more often now that I'm a super-cool blogger like Jeff ;-)

1 comment:

GliderMike said...

You are as bad as a guy I used to skydive with. He never wore gloves, no matter how cold it was. Had trouble finding the ripcord one time early on in his career, when he was still using a ripcord, instead of a throw-out pilot chute. The base tube may have the rubber grips, but the downtubes don't.